Wednesday, April 9, 2008

On the Subject of Planned Parenthood

Post By: Travis

I would have to agree with Mark on the death penalty and the ineffectiveness of the current prison system. For those who make the argument that prison is worse than it is made out to be may I just say: "Been there, done that".

For those of you that do NOT know, I was indeed arrested at one point... on Easter Sunday no less, for expired registration. So, I can say that my 12 hours in jail was worse than I had imagined it would be, and I can only imagine the despair I would have felt had I thought that the 12 hours would be 12 years, I can also say that, like any phase or situation in life, people adapt, and get used to being in jail.

I was locked up in a county holding cell, buy I have also toured a state prison, and I will tell you that while the holding cell was bare, boring and bland, the state prison had TV's in EVERY cell. They had cable too.

This is Huntsville state prison too, not some club fed kinda joint. The guy I was there to interview told me quite the story about the time he fed a guy feet first through a wood chipper. Feet first, of course, so he had time to talk.

I digress... I will, however take issue with one thing said by my esteemed brother which I think is more of a symantics thing, but I will throw it out for clarification. You said that we should have Christians working in Planned Parenthood and Abortion clinics to infiltrate them with positive messages, alternatives, and in order to extend love and kindness to girls who are finding themselves in a tremendously heart breaking situation.

The only issue I have is that, while Jesus may be in the Planned Parenthood counseling the girls and offering them love and support, I doubt very much that he would be working in the abortion clinic. Images of Christ with a vacuum hose don't really sit all that well with me. :)

So the trouble is that, for those who are not influenced by the Christian presence, and decide that abortion is their "Get Out Of Jail Free" card (which BOTH of the girls I know who had one would argue against it being any kind of freedom) what do the Christians do then? How do they justify being a part of that facility when it does come to that point?

So perhaps the answer lies somewhere in between. Instead of protesting the planned parenthood facilities, perhaps we should be holding adoption rallies outside of them. Putting up booths with information on adoption, having hopeful adoptive parents there to meet the girls, showing them love and an option, and not showing hatred and intolerance.

My 2 cents on the matter.

No comments: